My local gun shop owner inquired of me if I had shot any Ground Squirrels lately with the BEAUTIFULLY stocked Kimber Model 82-G (Government) that he sold to me from consignment many years ago.
I answered I had not used that gun this year but had it out last year and thinned out the Gophers on two or three days then.
He then asked if that Kimber Model 82-G was a "Kimber of Oregon" built Rifle?
I professed "I" did not know for sure one way or the other.
This was Saturday and I went home fetched the Kimber 82-G Rifle and inspected it all over - NO "Kimber of Oregon" marking anywhere - also no Kimber of New York markings either.
It was marked "U.S." though.
I took the Rifle back down to the gunshop and showed it to the owner and we both giggled at the "beauty" of the stock on this "government contract Rifle".
I mean why "waste" the beautiful wood on a "government contract" Rifle that was apparently intended to be used by the military to teach/enhance Rifle markmanship?
Anyway I began trying to research the "origin" of manufacture on this Rifle - serial numbered GM01786x.
I did a computer search and found nothing specific as to whether this Rifle was manufactured in Oregon or New York - these Rifles were eventually re-sold by the C.M.P.
I will be selling said Rifle come July and it would perhaps be a "selling point" if it were manufactured in Oregon?
I did find that the "government contract" 82-G Rifles were made in 1988 and 1989 and "apparently" Kimber moved to New York in 1990???
If anyone has any definitive information on the origin of these Kimber Model 82-G's please advise/correct me.
As long as the Rifle was out of the gun vault room I kept it out and took it along on the Hunt today - and the Rifle with 6.5x20 scope made short work of the Gophers on out to 125 yards.
I did find an online extended owners manual and it relayed how 22 Short, 22 Long and 22 Long Rifle shot shells should NOT be fired in it - NOR should 22 L.R. "hyper-velocity" munitions be fired in it.
22 L.R. Standard Velocity and High Velocity ammo was okay - according to the manual.
Any info or opinions are appreciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy