Blairvt: Thanks for that info - I paid $500.00 (no sales tax in Montana) for mine from a consigned sale here at my local gun shop.
I have been VERY happy with the accuracy and function of my 82-G.
Believe it or not I bought my Kimber 82-G specifically for Hunting Ground Squirrels all spring and summer - in other words no intention of "target shooting/competition".
It works rather well for the Varminting - even though it is heavy and has a long barrel (24") and is a single shot - the accuracy, the steadiness of it's mass and the wonderful trigger makes up, afield, for its listed shortcomings.
I consider the $500.00 invested in that Model 82-G to be money well spent/invested.
Three or four years ago at a sportsmans get together and store-wide sale ("Hunters Rendezvous" at Shedhorn Sports - Ennis, Montana) I spoke directly with the Kimber Factory Representative and among others things I asked him why they quit making Kimber rimfire Rifles and would they ever restart making Kimber rimfire Rifles.
His answer was that the company was so busy making pistols and centerfire Rifles that they became consumed/overwhelmed by those things and put the rimfire Rifles on the back burner!
He said they have saved the rimfire tooling/dies etc and hoped they would someday have the workforce and space to resume rimfire Rifle production - I don't know?
I have a beautiful Kimber Model 22 H/S (Hunter/Silhouette) in 22 L.R. that I also use on occasion for Ground Squirrel Hunting - it is splendidly accurate and the trigger is just sublime.
I for one wish that the good folks at Kimber would resume production of their rimfire Rifles.
Kimber - a fine American company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy