Originally Posted by zcm82
I have a cheap Caldwell. It works, but on a clear sunny day it needs to be in shade. It gives all kind of wonky readings if it has bright direct sunlight over it.

It also needs to be quite a distance back from a muzzleloader or the smoke makes it read goofy, too.

This is my experience as well. My basic Caldwell was my first optical chronograph. I have no idea if every brand and model of optical chronograph is as finicky, but my Caldwell sure is.

If sky conditions are right and the range is empty, I can get it work pretty easily and produce repeatable measurements.
Those are two pretty big "ifs" at times. Maybe there are some handloaders with enough experience they can set up a chrono and get to shooting. I find I need several trips back and forth to the bench to check alignment. It probably doesn't help the ground on my outdoor range is not flat or very level.

As I said, I hope it is my last optical. A new LabRadar just arrived. I hope this LabRadar let's me capture reliable data regardless of the sky and without having to spend time downrange fiddling with a setup. I think it will. Even if the LabRadar is everything it's cracked up to be, I'll still hang on to my Caldwell.