I made a discovery today about an exciting new math used at gun shows.

I'd taken a shotgun as trading stock, just in case I saw something worth dickering over. After walking around a bit and seeing plenty of unsold $150 primers I came to a table with a pretty little 50th Anniversary 10/22. Interesting gun. Looking it over I noticed two pretty deep dents and some muzzle powder residue from firing. Dealer is a guy I avoid like the plague because he's such a prick. He looked very gaunt like he was dying of cancer, so I figured maybe he'd have a little humility as he realized his end was nigh. Who knows, maybe he's trying to save his widow the trouble of dealing with his crap after he's gone?

He said the Ruger was NIB. I told him it was used. He said he bought it from the original owner. I said exactly, it's used, by definition, not to mention it's been handled and damaged, and fired.

But, I was still interested so I handed him my shotgun and said "trade me out of it". He wanted $500 for the Ruger and $150 per/1000 primers.

"What do you want?", he asks.

I told him I wanted $1350 for it. He offered me a used 10/22 and 2000 primers. LOL

I told him 5000 primers, the 10/22, and a bunch of 22 mag ammo. None of which I need btw, but wth, it's all fun and games.

He rolled his eyes and ranted and raved. You'd think I'd spent the night corn-holing his mother by his reaction.

"The 10/22 and 3000 primers is $1150!", he counters.

I'm doing to math in my head- $500+$450=$1150. And that's IF I agreed to pay those prices, which ain't happening.

"Your shotgun has no resale value. I can't get $900 for it."

"So why would you want it?" seemed like a reasonable response to his assessment. He had no answer for that.

We went back and forth a few more times and it was obvious he was high on his meds so I left.

Not the first time I've been insulted but never quite so blatantly.

I told my buddy after we left if I was an azzhole I would have told him "I'll just wait for whatever is killing you to finish it's work then I'll pick all this up for pennies on the dollar at your widows auction."

But I'm not an azzhole. Not yet anyway.

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/21/22.

LOL