Ed, et alia:

When doing my 50 AK and 450 rifles, Harry McGowen and I discussed at his shop the internal modifications. This is usually NOT required on an 1886, but
it is necessary on either a Winchester or Browning in 50 AK or 50-110/50EX on the M71.The reason is due to the carrier and internal geometry
to make the rifle reliable in feeding. A single shot may not help you in grizzly country. An 1886 recently made may need some internal work.

Also not wise to have a barrel less than 22 inches, IMHO. Balance is critical in the heavier calibers. Cast lead bullets work for load development but I prefer my stock of
Hawk 450/400 gr or Kodiaks in AK or Africa. Bears and buffalo are serious in their own territory. If pushing heavy bullets regularly, you will need an
attachment bbl-to mag to stabilize the mating. H. Johnson used a modified 94 carbine band in Alaska, I think. Many ways to stabilize against recoil.
There are no better rifles in the north woods for bears.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....