Originally Posted by SCRooster
Originally Posted by JoeBob
They should have just gone back to a twenty inch barrel on the 5.56 and upped the pressure a bit. It never was a good idea to take a cartridge so dependent on velocity as the 5.56 and start turning out rifles with 16 and 14 inc barrels.

Sure, the new round gets high velocity out of a short barrel, but then you add six inches of suppressor and you are right back where you started.

Not really.

Bigger pill traveling faster and all ... plus reduced recoil thanks to the platform and can. Plus quick change nitride barrels, sub MOA at 500 meters, integrated Vortex sight acquisition system, interchangeable belt fed squad automatic weapon that increased grazing fire out past 2000 meters ... plus, yeah, penetrates all known body armor and ceramic plates out to 600 meters. That's a serious mind-fuque-to opposing troops at that range who thought they were bullet proof until now. Skinny poop is they have an AP round that penetrates steel plates at 500 meters ... which is a total game changer.

Two completely different cartridges and platforms JoeBob.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just a bit skeptical. I suspect that like always we’re trying to fight and equip ourselves for the last war instead of the next. I guess we’ll see.