Originally Posted by 78CJ
Originally Posted by bobmn
78CJ: What is Section A box 3 labeled? Hint: Serial Number. How do you think firearms are traced?

No chit, but it doesn't make it to the National Tracing Center until the FFL discontinues business. I'm not saying the data isn't recorded somewhere after that, just clearing up speculation on Federal Law.

Its quite common for them to attempt to bully FFLs as well. For instance, an FFL I know upgraded to an SOT. They told him he had to turn over his records because he was getting a "new" FFL.

One particular gunsmith I know, the Feds showed up for a random "audit" and took digital images of logs. Then they demanded to inspect all his 4473s which they ran through a scanner. He was an FFL holder for 40+ years. After that day, he no longer would accept transfers, order rifles, or anything else requiring a 4473. He would only work on guns brought to him in person with customer waiting for him to perform any work. If it couldn't be completed in one day be it for parts or time constraints, he would send the customer home with their firearm and told to come back for work to be finished. I think he had a big fire at some point, too.