Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Heck, I have a "strong" modern 6.5x55 - a Ruger #1. I stick with the old load that worked beautifully in a dear departed M70 Featherweight and a string of M94, 96, 38 Swedish Mausers in the past, and a 41 Swede Sniper - 47 gr. IMR4831+129 Hornady Interlock, of which I'm sitting on maybe 1000 pieces. The same powder charge behind the 130 Berger VLD Hunting yields a skinch more accuracy, but not enough to justify the added hassle of finding those bullets, a moot point as I have a few hundred of them. 139 Scenars are superb too, and I use 46 gr. IMR4831 for them. Got a few hundred of them too. All three of those bullets allow the little Ruger to deliver well under MOA accuracy, boringly on demand...

You gotta figure that the old timey loads were figured out in the dim times of reloading and just plain work. laugh The 160 gr. Sierras used to work great for me. After they were discontinued, I switched to Prvis. Re 22 worked well with them and the 156 PPs. Before that, I used 4831, but it didn't group as well as Reloder.

I have exactly one full box of the Sierras left. I haven't tried the Norma bullets, but Prvis are inexpensive and it would be unusual to get a shot past 150 yards or so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]