Attention any Rem Model 14 and 141 owners.

Several years ago I tested a couple of dozen bullets in my 30 Rem model 14. Some bullets were more accurate than others, but more importantly, many of the bullets tended to hang up a little or a lot in the process of feeding into and through the tubular magazine and into the chamber. This J.D. Pedersen designed action is relatively complicated, which was typical of Mr Pedersen's designs.

I found that the rounder the nose of the bullet, the smoother it fed. Happily, the Remington 150 gr Round Nosed CoreLoks were both the smoothest feeding bullets and the most accurate in my rifle. The best bullet in this Remington rifle was a Remington bullet. Go figure!

I tried to take advantage of the spiral magazine by testing lots of pointed and semi-pointed bullets. The magazine/feeding issues and the very limited overall length that would feed through the action made the effort futile. Some bullets would work well as a single-shot, or a two-shooter, but overall the rifle worked much better just as it was designed to: with very round-nosed bullets.

I would have saved myself much time, trouble and money if I had known at the beginning what I know now. Maybe this tale will help someone else. I really like the old Remington pump rifles. Accept them for what they are and load for them as they were intended to be loaded and enjoy them.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra