Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by WAM
MAC,

I thought that you posted a while back that you were done with the Colorado draw shenanigans?

Just curious, no slam.

WAM

Not quite, what I said was I was sick and tired of the CO DOW and what they do in regards to mandating a qualifying license to apply. With 24 points for elk and 18 for deer I still play for those if I have a qualifying license, but I refuse to buy a small game license just to put in for a draw. This year I had a spring turkey tag which was a qualifying license. I refuse to buy a throw away license just to apply for another license, that is what I am done with. I expect to draw the pronghorn tag which will be the last time I apply for one in CO. Once I draw the elk tag and the deer tag I want my days of hunting CO will be over.

How many Western states DON'T require a license to buy points these days?

Probably none but I don't apply in any of them so I can't answer that. I was a CO resident for 54 years before work took me to TX. Used to be in CO that you could apply for the tags and just pay a small fee ($3 or so) per application. It was just 3 or 4 years ago that CO began forcing people to buy a license just to apply. If they would let me buy a fishing license as a qualifying license I'd be good with it because I can use that. But I have no use for a small game license since I am not driving from TX to CO to shoot a rabbit or a pheasant when I can get them here. But I do go still go trout fishing. CO does not consider a fishing license to be a qualifying license even though it costs as much as a small game license. This year I had a spring turkey license so I went ahead and put in for the draw.

I think it is wrong to force someone to buy a license they will not use just to be eligible to apply for a license they want. I consider that to be the equivalent of forcing me to buy a hotdog before I can place an order for the steak I really want. It is pretty much extortion and I don't play that game.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!