Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
What used to be 6' deep, will now be 12' deep.

The fish will not be, where they usually are, for this time of year.

That's hard to wrap my head around !!! The lakes we fish on the English River system (north of Ignace) would be back into the woods quite a ways in places. I've never been there before the 2nd week of June. So I've never seen it like that.

Fished the English river system many years great fishery!

It was quite something back in the 60’s and early 70’s before the pollution event. A guy named Lamm if I recall had a 5 star operation on the English just up from grassy narrows. Incredible all the Hollywood and worldly known people that were flown in there to fish.

Osky

What was the "pollution event" ?? I had never heard of that..........

My first year was 1974.

Back in 69 or so there was mercury pollution found in the English River system originating they said from a lumber milling plant in Dryden. Supposedly from there west to lake Winnipeg the waterways were polluted to one degree or another.
They caught the issue and got it cleaned up but at the time it forced closure of resorts along there and Lamms was probably the biggest and well known? There are people on here older than I am who may know of other operations closed.

Osky
I will add… I was a dock boy just starting to guide some. A good fly in camp consisted of wooden floor decks, with canvas walls up to about 4’ then going to a peak. Zip front opening. The separate “building” for cooking and eating was the same type of floor but with 8’ hi plywood walls. This was to help deter any bears. Camps also had a big dog of some sort for the bear control as well.
I never visited Lamms camp then but I sure remember flying over it. Real solid wood cabins with roofs and really large main buildings all wood again. In the wilderness. It was a jewel and very well known. People said back then he employed most of the natives from the village of Grassy Narrows.
Most of the outboards were maybe 10 horse back then, we did a lot of portaging with clients and those were carried along.

OK. That was all west of where we went, so............. But I had never heard of that. Thanks for the education.

We did some portaging in the 70's and very early 80's. Guy in town kept a 14 footer on several of the more remote lakes. Boat back in. Tie off and carry rods, tackle boxes and a 6 or 10 outboard back through the woods. Turn the boat right side up and put the motor on.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.