I've been spending the last couple years getting back into dogs. Finally Labs, my favorite all around breed of all time!

Seems one of the biggest concerns for people buying a larger breed of dog (especially the household pet owners, but it also applies to the field) is the "crazy puppy phase." So I've been looking pretty hard into addressing that, right from the whelping box. Still very much a work in progress, but the stuff I'm seeing, and the stuff I'm hearing from new owners, is very very encouraging.

It's exhausting, especially since we happened to have two litters at once this time around, but it's been an awesome opportunity to try some very early puppy conditioning. These are litters #3 and #4 that I've been applying the system to, and refining it all the way along.

It's a simple idea, and I don't overcomplicate it... Gate/door, food delivery, jumping up, wild "attack" activity is NOT allowed. Look to Master FIRST.

That's basically it.

Got this video the other day at the gate. First time I've had the two litters together, first time in their new run, first time I challenged their manners at this gate....

I get similar 'sit-and-look at me' response when I bring in the food. I'm transitioning that to waiting for the food delivered to the trough, and then they're given a release command. I'll (hopefully) have that happening before 8 weeks!

Here's the concept: I don't give them any period of time where they're allowed to be feral. Plowing into me, jumping up, plowing the gate or door open, jumping up to the food bowl, etc. From 'open eyes' onward, 3 weeks, they are required to submit to the human. (Gently, it takes almost nothing. Just turning them over does it, they feel dominated.)

Here's the question:

Do you guys think there's any risk to the future performance of the dog?
Do you think they'll train easier? Or will it not make a difference?
Do you think it could hinder confidence?

I tell my new owners that they could lose it. They could put the dog in control of their home without any effort at all. They have to maintain it. Several have, and the 'teenager' feedback is amazing. But does anything strike you as being a concern about this very very early submission mindset?

Thanks for your input!

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com