Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
I think what is important is that the rifle is tied directly to the case maker Winship indicating a possible factory set vs. a pieced together set by someone after the fact.
Strictly speaking, only if Winship made the early cases as well as the later cases or if it was a sample to design the Winship cross-bar cases. I've always suspected Winship made the early cases, so I think this is possible evidence of that. Otherwise it's just documentation that a 99G went to Winship..

Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
The JTC letter does not mention a .410 barrel or a cased set, but it sounds like the recording system for ledgers didn't clearly specify these things.
The JTC letters I have and have seen typically state the warehouse and ship dates and possibly the recipient of the rifle. But, doesn't say specifically "sold to" recipient.
This JTC letter says "resold". The actual ledger page is absent so this cannot be verified. Maybe JTC used the word resold vs. reshipped??
I don't think the ledgers ever mention a 410 barrel, but I do think an early cased set or two lettered as a "Comb. Set" - meaning that was recorded in the ledger either instead of or in addition to the 99G model. Most cased sets just come back lettering as a 99G.
I have to correct myself on the "Sold To".... the ledger column on the right is titled "SOLD TO", not "SHIPPED TO". In this case.. I'm not sure that's correct, but that's why I listed 4 options. It might have been sold to Winship, or just shipped there.

Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Another possibility: Perhaps the original buyer (hard to read, but looks like Robert's Hardware, Utica), returned it as unsold inventory. Guess it really does not matter; the important part is it shipped to Winship the 2nd time.
Very possible it was returned by Roberts Hardware in Utica. Which would mean it was sold to Winship rather than just shipped there - my option #3.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com