Blacktailer: My father was born in 1922 and he and his two brothers would Hunt Ground Squirrels for the one cent bounty on them in Baker County, Oregon at the time.
The 3 of them would shoot VERY carefully and quickly retrieve the Gophers for the penny a tail bounty.
Back then (1932'ish) dad said that a box of 50 22 L.R. cartridges was 22 cents and it was touch and go all summer if the collected tails bounties would keep up with their shooting.
As an aside one day they were near the Baker City (Oregon) town and county dump and the three of them came across several intentionally hacked up "One Armed Bandits" (slot machines) there in the dump. They had obviously been taken and destroyed by law enforcement then left at the dump.
Upon inspection a few nickel coins were found and they started further disassembling the one armed bandits and found that the coin route to the coin boxes (which were empty of course) held several nickels in each mechanism.
They jingled all the way to the hardware store and bought four or five boxes of 22 ammo - he also relayed each time he told this story how he and his brothers felt like they were on cloud nine with their found treasure.
In my Ground Squirrel Hunting of today the bounty would have to be 25 cents (or more!) per tail for me to stay even in that game.
Yep - times are a changin.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy