Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Shootems "I'm so old" thread on the CampFire forum got me to thinking about an incident that occurred this last Friday here at my local gunshop.
The owner of the shop had gotten in a small shipment of reloading powders and it was selling FAST!
Including a powder that was on a "want list" of one of my Hunting partners.
It was H 4831 SC - at $50.00 a pound!
All five pounds of that pricey stuff on the shelf sold while I was there trying to get my partner on the phone. Including the last 3 pounds going to a woman who was buying this H 4831 SC for her husband and sons.
Anyway as I was still waiting for a return call I noticed some good old H 4831 (standard stuff - normal cut) and it was priced at $50.00 as well.
Anyway back in 1959 at age 12 I taught myself to reload centerfire ammunition and back then I bought H 4831 (surplus?) for 99 CENTS a pound!
You had to bring your own container and they scooped it out of a large keg of the stuff - but it worked well for me.
In other words I am so old I remember when some reloading components cost 1/50th of what they cost today!
I'm so old I can also remember many decades when primers were ALWAYS on shelves and "shortages" were extremely rare.
Anything you are old enough to remember?
Times they are a changin.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I remember the surplus 4831. We just called it 4831, and it was $0.98/pound you-scoop into a paper sack or your own container. I had a couple of 1 gallon wine jugs my neighbor gave me and scooped away.

I used the last of my good sized supply of the 4831 a dozen years ago. I was 12 in 1959, also.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”