"non-participant"

I turned 18 my senior year of high school.
Got a free Greyhound ride to be poked and prodded by military physicians to complete my "pre-induction" physical.
Passed the physical, but was given a 1-HS deferment since I was still in school.
Graduated May, 1969. Got a new draft card almost immediately. Reclassified to 1-A.
Immediately enrolled in college and got a college deferment. IIRC that was a 1-C classification.
In October of 1969, the Gov't instituted the lottery.
Out of 366 birthdates, I was selected 324.
Selective Service System reclassified me back to "1-A subject to draft" and said they were going to draft through #275.
I wasn't happy in school, so I quit and went back to work.
A high school classmate was #274, so he went ahead and joined.
They stopped drafting at #264.

The 'Nam messed up a lot of my buddies, I don't regret missing that fiasco. As immature as I was at that time, I would probably have been a "statistic".
I do regret not having joined after 'Nam. I think it would have helped me mature.
If I had been drafted, the job I was working would have held my position. If I had voluntarily "joined", I would have lost my seniority and there was no guarantee they would even rehire me! Couldn't see throwing away 5 years seniority.
Probably one of my worst mistakes in life! LOL! At 72, it's a tad late to back up now! 😜

Last edited by martinstrummer; 06/07/22.