Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Paul39
USAF 1956-1960. E-3. There were few promotions in the AF at the time, but our Army and Navy counterparts made good rank. We provided OJT training to Navy CTs (like Teal) who got out of tech school with more rank that we experienced airmen had. I did an E-5 job as an E-3. You could tell the supervisors by their faded stripes. Best friend from HS was in an Army company (ASA) next door to us, and he was a four stripe sgt. before the end of his three year hitch.

It didn't sit well with veteran airmen when some Army or Navy NCO tried to pull rank. Saw a couple of fights in the NCO club over that.

Luck of the draw, the times. Later there was a heck of a deal with an early out and reenlistment that would have quickly resulted in two promotions and proficiency pay, but my separation date was three days too early to make the cutoff, so I did the full four years to the day, and got out with my faded two stripes and a Good Conduct medal. Missed the Korean GI Bill by six months too. Can't complain too much. Picked up the Vietnam era GI Bill in 1966, and got an Expeditionary medal a few years later when they recognized that I had served in a hot zone. Also, 20 years later got a couple of medals from the Republic of China, presented by an ambassador at a big Chinese dinner event in Chicago for their national holiday. Nice of them.

My dad was in during the same time and got out as an E-4. He said he lost some friends because he made rank so “quick”. Lol. He said it was basically impossible to make rank. They wanted to send him to Chinese language school and we’re trying to entice him to stay in.

Ha. I was a Chinese linguist and they declared us surplus after our overseas duty and assigned us to meaningless make-work jobs for the rest of our enlistments. Meanwhile, they recruited guys like your dad to go to language school. What a waste! I didn't know anybody in my group who made E-4 in four years, although some might have made it in their later assignments.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.