Originally Posted by TX35W
Was thinking to either rivet or low temp solder the mag spring to the spring locator/floor plate to fix the two in place. The floor plate piece fits the cutout in the stock pretty snugly so I don't think it will move.

That said I will have some deep thoughts about closing in the bottom of the box.

I make a simple bottom for the box out of sheet metal or aluminum with a tab that folds around the side of the box. The tab gets spot welded or epoxied in place....a couple small holes in the tabs work well for the spot welds. On the 700's, I use the small ADL screw in the back and run a thin bead of JB Weld or Pro Bed around where the mag box fits into the receiver recess.

Two nice things about doing a box that way:

-The receiver is completely isolated from any upward pressure from the mag spring so there's no pressure on the bedding. You'd be surprised how much upward pressure there is with a stiff mag spring and a magazine full of of cartridges. wink

-Simplified barrelled action R&R

Make the mag box cutout in the stock is big enough so the box sides (and bottom, obviously) don't touch anywhere.

Just my approach to it..... -Al

Forbidden Zoner