Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
It's doubtful the OP rifle will stabilize the heavier - longer 6.5 bullets. And if the .260 barrel is good now, improve it and there's nothing better.

Mr. Forbes is a good enough 'smith to recognize that Remington's decision to give the 260 a 1-9" ROT was a poor choice and would have built his 260's with a faster ROT that would handle all bullet weights.

Yes, and the NULA Model 20 also has a 3" magazine, so could handle longer bullets.

Which is why my .260 is a Tikka T3, one of a special run ordered a few years ago by Whittaker Guns in Owensboro, Kentucky with 1-8 rifling twists. T3s also only have one action length, but use different detachable magazines for different-length cartridges. My rifle shot more accurately after I modified the "short" magazine to take rounds up to 2.95" in length, so could seat longer bullets close to the lands.
I have a T3 in 260 Rem as well. I very much like it with the SWFA 3-9 scope. Can't see me using much of anything else for most of what I'll be hunting. It really doted on the now discontinued Berger 139gr Scenar ammo. Looks like I'll need to go looking for a replacement until I get the reloading stuff back out.