I had one for a while and liked it. Mine was a late production SS Winchester 70 set in a McMillan Edge stock. But I came to the conclusion that my 308 was as much gun as I'd ever need, and I have two older 30-06 rifles with too much history to sell that I could use if I ever felt the need for more power. Comparing it to a 300 H&H is about right, but you can have it in a short 308 length action instead of a long or magnum action. It's easier to put together a lighter weight rig with 300 WSM than 300 H&H, 300 WM or even 30-06. Most manufacturers seemed to have missed that point though.

I was getting 50-75 fps less speed than 300 WM while burning 10-15 gr less powder. That basically split the difference between 300 WM and 30-06 when I ran the numbers through a recoil calculator. My shoulder agreed. If I wanted near 300 WM performance in a lighter weight rig 300 WSM is the way I'd go.

I had one of the Colt Light Rifles in 300 WM briefly. That is basically a cheaper version of the Forbes rifle and IIRC mine was at or maybe a little less than 7 lbs scoped. That was just a little too much of a good thing for me. I didn't keep that one long.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.