Originally Posted by ToeCutter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by ToeCutter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
My thought on this situation.

How many years have we been shoving fats into tight confinement? 100? 150?

How many times have those pens been exposed to similar weather conditions? 1000s upon 1000s.

If losses such as this have occurred in the past, solely due to summer temps, I would sure like to hear about it.

Now, if in fact this was a 2000 count loss from a 200,000 head operation, that is a different situation.

The story read as if it was a 100% loss.
And this is exactly the reason I'm not buying losing 2,000 head all one night.

I’m not either. Worked cows plenty of times when it’s been 110 degrees. And we only had black cows. Another words. Registered Black Angus. We never lost a cow to heat stress In my lifetime
Only loss one old cow to cold back in 1983. And she was old enough she was looking for a place to die. The only other cows we ever loss were cows that were calving, stillborn calf’s, or newborn calf’s.
Either the water or feed was toxic, would be my best guess.

Bullshit... where does it regularly get to 110 and they have black angus? You exaggerate too much to be called honest

Ummm. Anywhere between Amarillo to Wichita Falls and many places south???

With that said, I think lack of shade/June heat (rather than July/August with lighter coat/hair) could’ve done it. There wasn’t a cool place to be found.

No one does black Angus in extreme heat environment... there are way better breeds to raise for that. But Im sure you are the cattle expert so kudos to you

WTF are you talking about?? That’s probably 75-90% of what’s raised in NW TX and the Texas Panhandle. Anything that’s not black usually goes at a discount at the auctions.

Name a breed that is more popular than black Angus, in Texas????