Originally Posted by BC30cal
Sandbilly;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that other than tempting the fates by eating food past the posted date you're all well tonight. grin

Honestly I had to look up what it was as we do have Betty Crocker Bisquick in boxes here - I think - but not that shape of container. Likely too flashy for staid and boring Canadian customers or something.

If possible I avoid boxed pancake mix as it brings back flashbacks of when my folks split up when I was 14 and Dad and I lived off of Aunt Jemima boxed pancake mix, bacon and eggs for months as that was all Dad could make. I then learned to cook out of necessity! laugh

On the whole "this package will explode after expiry date" thing, I'm with those who say it's just a suggestion.

Years back here John Barsness had a thread asking what was the longest anyone had left game meat in the freezer and it was still fine. I want to say someone had a "lost roast" that was 9 years old and it was still fine. We did a 3 year old moose roast that was fine so I was a mere piker in that contest.

The other spring when I was reorganizing our walk in pantry I found a couple jars of canned venison from 2012 so it was 8 years old at least. It tasted fine.

I will say that I had some of those packaged Ramen noodles in a pot in the tool box of my pickup for about 20 years and it wasn't good tasting at all anymore. I might not have finished it either sir, but then again I might have?

My folks both grew up in the Great Depression and it was a competition between drinking alcohol or wasting food as to which was the greater cardinal sin.

Funny how I'm now not a teatotaller but it pains me to throw food away of any kind.

It might well do me in some day I suppose Sand Billy, but it hasn't thus far. For whatever it's worth, if this Canuck was there with you, I'd be trying the packaged pancakes along with the ancient syrup for sure. cool

Thanks for the chuckles tonight and all the best.

Dwayne

Damn... you make a great tale.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.