Everyone's mileage will vary. For example, I was excited to find a bottle of Larceny on the shelf, and was underwhelmed at the contents. That will happen with some from time to time. Nothing worth pouring out, but not worth picking up another bottle either.

I also find that neck pours, esp from higher proofs are not the be all, end all of the bottle, and generally try to let bottles sit after that. I have a barrel pick KC single barrel 120 proof from Timmons in Rapid City opened and sitting now and I'm thinking it should be about to reveal itself in 30 days or so.

I participated in a barrel pick of Buffalo Trace at my local liquor store last year. The distillery sent out three samples. One was ghastly (honestly a drain pour), one was unbelievably good, and one was so/so. We of course picked B and it arrived in bottles about the first of the year. It was just as fantastic then as it was in May. Better than the Col Taylor I had open at the time. Just fantastic. So yes, Buffalo Trace can vary from bottle to bottle.

For what its worth.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"