In 2016 I went to RSA for plains game. I planned on bringing Stainless Ruger's in 375 Ruger and 35 Whelen. I had right hand surgery and ended up getting a bad case of tennis elbow on the left side from picking up a pretty heavy box. Every time I shot the heavy kickers, my left elbow would scream in pain. I ended up taking a Kimber Montana in 7-08 shooting 120 grain Barnes TTSX and a Sako A7S in 270 Winchester shooting Sako factory 156 Hammerheads.

I killed 5 head of game, the Impala, Warthog and Blesbok all were DRT one shot with the 7-08, 136, 80 and 156 yard shots. I also shot a Kudu and Gemsbok with the 270, both dropped at the shot and both needed on the spot finishing shots. The Sako Hammerheads both suffered corr/jacket separations. Shot distances were 50 and 75 yards.

A couple of guys in camp were using 30-06's and wounded a Wildebeest and zebra which were never found. Another hunter using a 7mm RM wounded a Warthog which resulted in a day and half chase onto a neighboring hunting consession and eventually being killed by the neighboring PH with a 10mm pistol.

So my advice is take the rifle you shoot the best, use a premium bullet and practice a lot.

Good luck!