Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Depends what you're doing. For a pleasant range toy, I use 42 grains of h4895 and a 130. Low recoil and good accuracy. Filled my tag with it last year too.

I will never use this load EVER, but interesting to read what people will do that are so inclined to do such things
confused

H4895 is a great powder for reduced-starting loads in many cartridges. The results are reduced recoil, good accuracy and usually more than enough velocity to kill deer for quite a ways.

One thing these reduced loads and even the smaller cartridges (6.5G for example) have shown me, is that by and large, any velocity much over 22-2300fps in small bore cartridges is simply icing on the cake. Yes, you have better downrange performance and trajectory at extended ranges with a standard load, but something like a Grendel or a reduced/starting load 270 has the power to be effective past 200, 300, even up to 400 yards.

Aside from those benefits I mentioned, they also help conserve powder which is a good tool to have in the toolbox when shortages take take their toll.