Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yaddio,

RL-22 can produce some spectacular accuracy and velocities with 130s (and other bullet weights) in the .270. But it's also one of themost temperature-sensitive rifle powders I've ever tested at various temperatures from zero to 100 degrees Fahrenheit--which can result in widely varying accuracy and point-of-impact
Originally Posted by Yaddio
I'm surprised no-one mentioned RL22.

Yaddio,

RL-22 can produce some spectacular accuracy and velocities with 130s (and other bullet weights) in the .270. But it's also one of the most temperature-sensitive rifle powders I've ever tested at various temperatures from zero to 100 degrees Fahrenheit--which can result in widely varying accuracy and point-of-impact. Which is why I haven't used RL-22 for handloading the .270 in over 20 years.

However, have found RL-19 (anybody find any lately?) VERY accurate with 130s, and less temperature sensitive.

Thanks MD. Here on the Central Coast of California we don't have much temperature variation, but yea, I get it. Sierra had RL22 as their accuracy load in an older loading manual for 130s and I think ? for 150s too. I think Nosler at one point gave it the nod too. Dang were those GKs accurate with that combo. When I had to switch over to copper bullets I didn't see RL22 listed anywhere for the 130 TSXs. I called Barnes and asked if they had any data for 130 TSX and RL22. The guy on the other end of the phone said that RL22 was too slow for that combo. I figured WTH and worked up to a load anyway of 58 grains and it shot MOA in my M70, (RL22 was listed with almost every other manual for 130s). I've since switched to H4831 and loaded enough 130 TTSXs to keep me in business for a while. I did try RL19 with the 130 TSX, but contrary to others results it didn't shoot well. I still have almost 2 lbs of RL19 left.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock