1. Winchester 9422
2. Ruger 10/22 with Green Mountain target heavy barrel
3. CZ 457

The 9422 is simply a fun gun. When I came across it, it had an old Bushnell "3x-7x Custom .22" scope on it, with a trajectory compensator that actually worked from 50yds to 200yds. I took it off because I love the looks of those old lever actions and it just felt right with open sights. Pop cans and golf balls stand no chance!

The 10/22 was a slightly used standard model wood-stocked Ruger. I put a Green Mountain heavy barrel and a Hogue overmolded semi-target stock on it, and had my gunsmith do a trigger job - taking out the creep and lowering the absurdly high trigger pull to about 3 lbs. The best I ever did with this one was 7/8 to 1 inch at 50 yards, regardless of ammo brand - although I confess I never tried true match ammo and did nothing else to accurize it.

I see this 10/22 as a hunting rifle - squirrels and pests - a slightly more serious "fun" gun. I'm not interested in investing serious money to improve it above perhaps bedding the action and free floating the barrel.

The last is a brand new CZ 457. Still in the box - I haven't even given it it's first cleaning. I'm thinking mostly target shooting, some novice-level competition and maybe some long-range experimentation. A friend has some steel targets out to 350 yards and may extend it some day to 500.

The question is, how do I scope #2 and #3?

This is what I have on hand:

Burris 4x fixed
Sig Whiskey 3 3-9x40 with BDC-1 quadplex
Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballistic Plex
Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 with standard plex reticle
Burris Fullfield II 4.5-16 with Ballistic Plex
Athlon Talos 4-16x40 with BDC 600 reticle and side focus

I'm not adverse to buying a scope for #3. I've never tried twisting turrets, but it may be fun to experiment with this rifle. I know I can get either an Element Helix APR-1C 4-16x44 FFP/MRAD or an Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 6-24x50 for around $400 from Doug - although I'd much prefer to spend less.

Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited by czech1022; 06/27/22.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke