Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Teal
They are not connected.

The word "matrimony" derives from the Latin word for "mother". You lolberterians live in a fantasy world.

Marriage is between you, spouse and God. (via your Church)

Marriage is not connected to nor is it derived from the government. At all. Full stop. Mother =/= Government - unless you're a "it takes a village" Hillary type who believes the parents have no say/sway.

The government involvement has ZERO to do with "guaranteeing a future for children" - The government did NOT recognize marriage under law until the Revenue act of 1913. What does that have to do with marriage? (TAXES not "Securing Children") Compare the sanctity of marriage before 1913 and after....

Government involvement in marriage is what created the push for gay marriage. Equality under the secular rule/instrument.

Had .gov stayed out of marriage and left it to a person's individual Church - they'd not push for it.

Of what redeeming value is there in having the government involved in your marriage. I'll wait. I can understand it involved in dissolution of "a" marriage - whatever that might be within your own church -division of property/child custody but in CREATING the marriage? They offer nothing but a pathway to what we have now - determining who can/can not get married, how and when and who MUST recognize it.

I'll wait while you explain to me why the government has any input on marriage that makes sense in any way/shape or form. Seriously - I want to learn. Explain to me why having the government involved in a union between me, the wife and God via our Priest is better than NOT having the government involved.

Me