Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Teal
I don't want the government - be it local, state or federal, to have a damned thing to do with marriage of any type.

I disagree completely. Marriage is now and always has been, in principle, intended to secure a future for children, which is pointless between two people of the same sex.

There are people who have tirelessly promoted this idea that gays should marry. They do this specifically to damage Western Civilization. Those people should be resisted with every available resource.

I used to take Teal’s more libertarian stance on this as well but have come to see that there are few institutions more foundational for the peace and prosperity of a culture than the family.

How therefore can marriage and it’s veneration NOT be central to the business of a just govt?

I leave that up to the Church - my POV. I agree, strong marriages are critical to a society - I just don't want the .gov involved at all with it because I've yet to see a .gov do ANY good when it comes to it. It's simply getting worse - everywhere. Insanity is doing it over and over and expecting a better result. VERY little of what the .gov gets involved with gets BETTER. Especially when it's about people.

Me