Originally Posted by ctpa61
I recently got a Glock 20 to carry while archery elk hunting for bear defense. My question is it necessary to upgrade the factory spring to a 20 or 22 pound spring when using the heavy cast loads from Underwood or Buffalo Bore?

Thanks,
CT

No, it's probaby not necessary. If your glock functions well with the stock spring, then there is no need to upgrade. I you're flinging empties 30 feet, or have a RTB issues, then a higher weight spring maybe be in order. If your empties are just spilling over the side or you're having occassional hangups, you've gone too heavy. Glock springs are cheap. If you want to mess around with it, then get several in different weights and see how each works with whatever ammo you've decided to carry. I've got 20 and 22 lb sprigs as well as stock springs for my G20 and 21s and keep going back to the stock spring. It's been perfectly reliable with cheap WWB, Gold Dot +Ps,, Ranger +Ps, Buffalo Bore, whatever. Whatever you stick in it, shoot it a lot and make sure it functions well. Ideally it should eject brass and RTB as if you were shooting round ball with he stock spring.