Began my hunting career with Speer hot core hand loaded bullets. I had more issues with the management choices of Speer bullets than the actual bullets as time rolled on.

Speer claimed at one time 'The worlds finest bullets'..... Well, that has been a LONG time ago now.

Over the years the hot core always delivered the goods though. Affordable, Decent groups, broke heavy bones, Expanded well, dug deep. Never doubted the bullets. Grand slams pushed deeper.

I once did a crude weight retention comparison between the horn 7mm 162gr. btsp and the 7mm Speer 160gr. Hot core spitzer. Close range 25 yards, into a large block of cedar wood. The Speer beat the hornady in weight and penatration, not by much but it did better... Again, long ago specifics lost, but the Speer did do better.

Anymore, I have leaned away from Speer bullets. They have spells were bullets seemed not priority and discontinue different bullets, offer a new bullet for a short bit and discontinue it... I kinda had it with Speer being wierd. They seem alright now but for how long. Tired of it, now nosler and hornady are filling gaps for good in different guns and loads.

Good bullets, but run by maniacal [bleep]

Last edited by boomwack; 06/29/22.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member