Not sure why anyone tries to dictate by personal preference or some ridiculous "formula" what scopes we should be using. But then, I can never figure out why people ask questions like "what scope should I put on _____ rifle" ? ....

I'm of the opinion you simply can't overscope a rifle. If you have more at the top end you seldom use, who cares? As long as the bottom end works for you the extra X's are just an added option like and option on your new truck you only use occasionally, but is sure is nice when you use it...

For varmint hunting I like as much magnification as I can reasonably get. Some of the critters are pretty small and a long ways out and others, like coyotes, tend to hide behind sage brush and other things while they plot their path to the attractant. In either case a bit more power can make a shot possible where less may leave you empty handed.

Another time I use the upper end of my scopes is when I spot a herd of elk or deer in a wood line. Often they mix it up as they move back and forth so it is important to detect which is the legal animal and which one isn't at any moment and when you have a clear shot- with no small bushes or trees in your line of travel. Sometimes you can do this with less power, but it is much easier if you can crank it up and watch for as long as you want until a shot presents itself.

All the OP's post indicates to me is the ever present situation we find on this site and others that tells us that different areas of the country dictate different hunting tactics- or guys on these forums often like to repeat what they read in some magazine to enlighten us all. Either way, I'll still use what I feel comfortable with and I doubt that will be a 6X scope any time soon....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 07/03/22.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.