czech1022;
Top of the morning or perhaps good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day is behaving for you.

We used to have a member here with the handle HVA and I believe it was he who was an expert on Husky variants.

The top link which Ralph Beagle shared is very good - thank you kindly sir.

Somehow we seem to have a bunch of Husky variants up here on this side of the medicine line, my guess is that they were at a good price point perhaps, but we see lots.

Over the years I've worked on a whole bunch as a result, about 2/3 of them the earlier FN made 98 type actions, then the remainder the 640/1640 Husky built hybrid of the 98 action length but small ring size action. I've seen and handled a couple of the last ones made with the 1900 action, but haven't worked on one.

The most common thing I've repaired is a cracked stock on them, the stock typically cracking at the tang first but some cracked at the tang and the recoil lug. I've only worked on one 9.3x62 so far and it was cracked in both places.

If I was to make a semi-educated guess on why they crack, it'd be that they're bedded too tight from the factory and that in combination with the beech and softer walnut stocks resulted in them cracking.

It's a really easy fix however so that's good.

The triggers on some of them are adjustable and some are not. Some of both have decent triggers and some less so.

I've read that one can make a commercial 98 trigger work on a 1640 action, but if I've done that I don't recall at present, sorry.

The metal work on most Husky rifles, but especially the 640/1640 and the few 1900's that I looked at was very, very good. I'd hesitate to say it's "the best" but I've worked on 98 actions made by Mauser, Steyr and CZ to name a few and the Husky fit and finish equals or exceeds them.

I'm not sure how they'd handle escaping gas resulting from a major case failure as opposed to a 98 action, so there is that.

Most of them that I've played with shot well after they were bedded. When the stocks are cracked a common complaint was that the accuracy was spotty and that makes sense.

Some people don't prefer the Husky bolt stop as opposed to the 98 system and I'll give them that. It's likely not as robust and certainly at least somewhat less easy to use than a 98, but I've never seen or even heard of one broken or failing to work.

Lastly the more I've gone down the rabbit hole of Husky rifles the more oddball rifles that folks seem to have, mainly with different stock variants though, not the actions or barrels.

Hopefully that made some sense and was useful to you or someone out there.

All the best whichever way you go with Husky made rifles.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/08/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"