Originally Posted by Partridge
Very nice! Your rifle looks to have very nice grain figure compared to most G&Hs that I’ve seen. How does it compare in fit/finish to your Pachmayr?

Had been looking for a Griffin & Howe Springfield for 30 years, but had never "pulled the trigger" due to what you've also noticed about them: Most have relatively plain wood. This one obviously doesn't!

I would say the inletting of the G&H is better than the Pachmayr 1903. They're about equal in finish and checkering. I sold the Pachmayr to help pay for the G&H, partly because while the Pachmayr had originally been a .35 Whelen, it had been converted to .358 Norma Magnum years later, probably in the 1950s when that made some sense, as the .358 Norma was a factory cartridge and the .35 Whelen then still a wildcat.

Which is also why I bought the G&H: It's a .30-06, and all the evidence points to it being made on a National Match barreled action (apparently quite a few were). Have found that I don't have much need for rifles in larger, harder-kicking cartridges anymore--and my custom-stocked 9.3x62 CZ 550 fills what little need there is. It has pretty nice wood too:

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck