I always used a wood stove, (Simms Sportsman) fold up, in our wall tent. We didn't camp real close to where we hunted, but it was within hiking distance.We cooked, ate, washed, slept in those tents. In one area, I killed 8 bulls in eight years and quite a few cows later. Other areas, we had similar experiences ,but not quite as good. I cannot remember missing an elk season for at least 40 years, may be more. My success rate was better than 95% .The last three years, it went down considerably as all I can do is ride to where I hunt and sit due to disabilities.

The last several years before that, when I quit packing camps in and camped at the trailhead in my stock trailer, I initially had a wood stove in it and then switched to a Blue flame 30K BTU propane heater. Cooked, ate, slept, in the trailer too.Then I moved up to a little 6&1/2ft pop up slide in camper on my pickup. Ditto same thing. Elk don't care if you stink just a little bit,or a whole bunch.They don't like it and leave. Pay attention to the wind and use it to your favor. ( your hunting partners will appreciate you keeping clean though).

Here is a photo of where those 8n bulls were taken. All in the surrounding hills of the meadow. We camped in the pines just a little past that hill on the right. An outfitter later and screwed up the whole area..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles