This term gets used regularly here and while I think I understand it, is there a proper definition available? I does appear to me (from my reading and my reviews of Modell 99s on the various internet sites where they are listed for sale) that the "condition" of any variant is almost more important than the actual model and chambering. Clearly, rarity and chamberings are a factor in the desirability of a specific weapon but... condition perhaps is even more-important, and "originality" seems to have become a significant factor for these firearms as well. Is a properly refinished gun as good as an "original" gun, or is that a big strike against it as far as value to a Model 99 collector is concerned?

From my own perspective, I'm a "user" and not a collector. My guns are (hopefully) "beautiful" in that they're in good, useable condition, with no damage (i.e. cracks, dings or dents) and the proper finishes in place to protect them from the elements during said use. If a gun is "too-nice" or accordingly, "too-valuable" then it's utility to me is somewhat diminished because I'll worry about something happening to it during use. Clearly, a "collector" will see things differently. Guns to me are "tools" as much as they might be "art" and if I can't use them without worry, then I'm not sure I've got the right one. At that point, I'd almost rather have a nice, practical "grey rat".

Last edited by Lloyd3; 07/13/22.

'Tis better to burn out than it is to rust.