Lay-offs, around here? Not likely. The crews are averaging 60 hr weeks with 72 hrs a common occurrence.

We have been trying for several years to find personnel to fill out a third shift and make thos 72 hr weeks into 48s. But available workers, simply are not.

We asked the employment service to find us six people two weeks ago, four showed up for orientation. two weeks later one is left. We asked for six more last week. We got zero.

Other employers in this area pay comparable wages, but nobody matches our benefits.
15 days sick/year with accrual. 20% matching on 401K, good pension, sliding rate for vacation up to 200 hrs/yr @ 20 years service, wholly paid Blue Cross with $450 deductible and $1900 max out of pocket/year.

I am retiring in a few months with about 2080 hrs of accrued vacation which will be paid out as one year's wages on the day of retirement.

Fugging lazy asses coming out of school would rather live in Momma's basement and suck tiity than get out and become someone. All they seem to need is an allowance sufficient to keep them in video games and maybe pot or booze.

Has anyone said lately, this nation is well and truly fugged?

I know we are looking to invest heavily in automation and reduce manpower to a minimum. Then people cry, "Why can't I find a job?"

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.