Originally Posted by Brakeman97
Well, I hate to break it to you guys, but secondary market gold, which I think is the proper term from my Economics degree days, is a poor choice. Gold, silver, and anything else is only worth what you can sell it for, and the gold coin and bullion market is marketed for selling not buying. You will find that your selling is a captured market and that you will not be able to sell at the price you buy.
If you want to have some [bleep]-hits-the-fan money, then buy only what you think you can sell easily in your market.
One of my professors told me, In Germany 1945, the street price of bread was gold coins or diamonds, which says less about the value of bread than it does of the low value of gold coins and diamonds.

If you get into a 1945 bug out transient scenario...how much gold can you even carry?

I think precious metals are more the long term investment against inflation...eg a story on public radio yesterday had a person digging up a box in their back yard buried in the 30's. It had $1k in it. So, it's worth 1k today...since, much less than $1k from the 30's. But, if it was silver, gold, platinum it would've surpassed inflation and been worth more.

PS I am no investment person, and live virtually through Jorge I's posts. He makes sense.