In order to keep the small patch of grass in the yard green for the dogs, I've taken to running the timer on the sprinkler for 20 minutes the first time, then for 10 more an hour later so the well has some time to recharge.

Well guy said when we had it checked before buying this place (2016, another drought year), I could pump 20 minutes at 10 gpm, then another 25 at 5gpm, then I'd start pumping sand. About 45-60 minutes for the well to recharge, so I try to work things on the safe side.

Last few years I haven't needed the extra 10 minutes to keep things mostly green in that little patch. This year I'm hardly keeping up and some days spots get a bit "crunchy".

Good thing I learned how to garden and conserve water in the real desert where it only rains 3-4" a year. I think I'll do OK with the taters and cabbages this season. Everything else will be a toss up.

I think between the chickens and the dogs my local lizard population has taken a hit.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?