Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Had a business trip that took me through an area with a few prairie dogs. So I took my Sako L461 that I had rebarreled along for the ride. I had a couple extra hours on the way home so I pulled off the highway into an area that looked promising. Never saw any big towns, just the occasional mound here and there so I got a couple here and there. Made a loop on the way back out and found an area that had a dozen or so mounds ranging from 100-400 yards. I popped a few close ones here and then picked up on a mound just ahead of the sage brush with two dogs on it. I misjudged the distance with the 223 and put the first round just below them and threw dust everywhere. One went down the hole and the other ran off the back of the mound. I reloaded and waited until he finally snuck up the backside and showed his head. He stood up for just long enough for me to let the 55 gr Varmageddon fly! I thought I had the holdover right this time buy he disappeared with no satisfying ‘pop’. I shot one more and the drove around towards the back of the field to see what was beyond the rise, but it was filled with brush. No chance of seeing anything out there.

When I turned around, I recognized the 400 yard mound where I missed those two earlier, except I didn’t miss the second shot! There it was, hit right in the middle where I had aimed. I went ten dogs for eleven shots! Not too bad really, but nothing really long range either. That old Sako is just a pleasure to shoot. I had Pacnor put a 10 twist on it when the original finally gave up the ghost. Figured I can shoot up to 69 gr with it if I want.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The 55 gr Varmageddons are very accurate but not as explosive as I was hoping for. The 40 gr BT blows em up a lot more than this. They get the job done though.

With the heavier varmint bullets like the 55 grainers, if you want carnage.... Instead of actually shooting the sage rat or prairie dog, I usually
aim right in front of them as close as I can get to them in the dirt.... let the round ' bounce' up as shrapnel on them instead... I get pretty consistent about it, just by a little scope adjustment... when that is within 200 yds or so.... when the round comes up after just exploding like they are designed to do... that is a lot of shrapnel, hitting them... more like a mini bazooka or RPG.... they blow into "parts"....

if it hits them just right it can put them 5 to 8 feet in the air, especially if they are standing on the edge of a hole, and there is dirt mound wall behind them...

other times if you don't have the mound wall behind them, and it hits them just right.... the right half of them goes flying 10 to 20 feet in one direction.... and the left half does the same in the other direction...

originally fell into this experience, just coming up short on them when shooting at them, and hitting in front of them...

after I saw those results... I just wait for those type of shots to present themselves...

guess that is where the term " Red Mist" originated... sure motivates kids and even other adults when you've taken them out..

have also entertained Mexican farm workers when they break for lunch and sit near by watching me doing that...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez