The 1920 evolved from the 1916, a long action bolt action military rifle that Savage made at least 3, maybe 4, prototypes of.

2 were in 30-06. I understand that this project was done so that Savage would have a ready to manufacture military rifle to sell to the U.S. Government to supplement the 1903 Springfields. The 1917 Enfield was the rifle that was selected to supplement the 1903 Springfield.

1 was in 7x57, probably intended as an option for Central and South American countries to replace their Remington Rolling Blocks.

1 was a sort of hybrid between the 1916 and SMLE in 303 British

There was only 1 sporting rifle configuration that I know of, the 256 Newton. Mark Benenson told me that it was short chambered. That rifle was one of the deals that Mark and I agreed to only to have Mark back out of the deal. The one that killed our buy/sell relationship was when I bought a Marlin 336ER from him, sent him the $$, and he refused to refund the $$ or send me the rifle. After several months he did refund the money, but we never did another deal. Mark was quite well off, so I have never understood why he did that.