Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Seriously, when do you use either/
Used Trig all the time when fitting pipe in the factory.

You need to run a 8 inch diameter line across 42 feet horizontal distance. But you also have 12 feet vertical offset. How long do you make the transitional piece And what are the angles of the elbows to connect it?

A squared plus B squared equals C squared will get you the answer to the first question. But you're gonna need trig to answer the second.

Good post. I used it a lot in the field as well. Always had my scientific calc in the tool bag along with the easy way a newer construction calculator. You mention A squared plus B squared= C squared: Pythagorean theorem is always a good thing to know when figuring out squares. Very essential when having to make square cuts on parts. I used a lot of math, even in the shipyards, building barges and tug boats. A lot of the guys didn't, they just kept their hoods down. "Stupid welders" you know. Especially where you were not building on the flat. If building on a slope, you needed to know how to expand measurements. A lot of schidt can be figured out mathematically. You just have to have a mind for it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA