Originally Posted by Plumdog
Originally Posted by cra1948
I'm running a couple of 2 stroke Yamahas that have given exceptional service for around 20 years. I've slowed down a bit, but for most of that time I was on the water from ice-out to ice-up, 2 - 5 days a week.

Go down to the water and see what the guides, the crabbers and others are using.

Most of the 3rd world tourist areas I've been in, where parts and service are sketchy and reliability is very appreciated, the majority of the outboards you see are Yamaha.

I wouldn't consider anything but a Yamaha if I were buying a new outboard.
A lot of the popularity of Yamaha in third world countries has to do with Yamaha and Worldbank partnering to build Panga boats and make them easily available for fishermen to make a better go of making a living. I kinda wish we in USA could get the Enduro models sold in ROW because of simplicity. USA models are built to ridiculous emission standards and the service and parts chain is ridiculously expensive. The 2-stroke yamahas are becoming sought after due to supply issues with new 4-strokes.

It would be really nice if we could get the Yamaha diesel outboards available in less-enlightened parts of the world.

Mathew 22: 37-39