Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by cra1948
Mercury is leading the pack by a good margin. They spent a good deal on r&d and it paid off.

In a new 150-300hp I wouldn’t consider anything but a Merc. Small ob, get whatever you want
You guys need to keep up with stuff. It’s not 2000 or even 2015.

The v8 Merc 300 is better than the Yamaha 300. No contest.

The 200-225 v6 Merc is in a class of its own and has no peer. It will destroy the 200 Yamaha.

The 3.0 merc 150 is one hell of an engine and beats the 150 Yamaha in my opinion.

A number of people on here are offering their opinions on this and relating the experience their opinions are based on. What are you basing your opinion on?

About 20 years and thousands of guide days. 10s of thousands of hours. Owning multiple offshore boats.

I am not guessing or passing on second hand info.

Nice to hear from you today Calvin. Thanks for the professional advise. We can argue all day . One will say one is junk and the other is the best. As for me, I had a 25 horse Merc I bought new in 1997. Not one problem ever and I run them enough. Must be good if it never not started in 25 yrs that I owned it and bought new. I did have a Johnson for 1 month and it stalled on my on the Mississippi River and lucky I got it going . The next time I needed a tow. So therefore all Johnsons are junk. As for me I am looking at a new boat . I will likely part with Merc because the 40, 50 and 60 are made in China, and I would rather have Japanese over Chinese any day. I hear the Yamaha 70 is an awsum motor. Do you hear about the 70vs 75? Only 5 horse difference but much different motors. I'm siding with the 70 for $400 less.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23