Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Several years ago there was a glut of diesel mechanic program graduates with poor job opportunities and a ton of debt from their for-profit schools. My impression was it was a similar situation for auto mechanics. Not sure what the current state of affairs is, but 20 years or so ago it sounded like a bad situation.

I'm guessing like a lot of things choosing a trade should take into account a person's attributes and interests, with some trades a better match for an individual than others.

For example, I'm not sure a person allergic to numbers with no attention to detail would be a good match for the machinist trade. Lots of things that might not be as obvious as someone with a fear of heights not being a good match for a job replacing light bulbs on top of towers.

Got a buddy who hired out as a mechanic in a dealership. He has a real knack for Cummins diesels.
Dodge dealerships would send him to schools.
Super nice guy and an absolute genius when dealing Cummins motors.
1) when working on his own, DO NOT be in a hurry! Took him forever. He wasn't slow, just easily distracted.
2) he was a "wheeler-dealer"! Made boatloads of money, but never had 2 dimes to rub together

Last time I heard from him, he was teaching at a local trade school. That was a couple of years ago.

Learn to bid electrical jobs and you can do very well.
To be any kind of contractor, you gotta have and keep your wits about you!
Druggies, alcoholics and spendthrifts need not apply.