Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Local farm supply sells Husqvarna and Stihl. Its about a 30-35 mile drive to anywhere that sells Echo.
Which do you think is the best and why?

Mostly just around home but light “farm use.” Prefer one with straight shaft.

I have Stihl and Echo, they both seem to be equivalent good machines IMO. Don't know that brand is all that important...they all make "pro" versions and "homeowner" versions. The Echo Speed Feed head is mighty handy for re-stringing if used to trim a civilized lawn but can tangle if you get it in much more in my experience.

Consider getting a light brushcutter version with bike handlebars if you have any kind of back issues. The position you have to be in to run one with a "hoop handle" really makes my back gripe whereas with the handle bar version I can cut for as long as I need to comfortably.

The little carburetors on all of them are real dinky contraptions with plastic primer bulbs and probably little plastic diaphragms inside that ethanol will destroy. Non ethanol gas is non negotiable to avoid headaches.

Last edited by RJY66; 08/02/22.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn