Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I'm glad that fixed the problem. The next question is whether or not this is going to happen again. With the bolt open, try to rotate the sleeve by hand and see if it remains locked properly. If not, there is something wrong with the locking mechanism, which is the little tab that locks into a slot on the root of the bolt handle and keeps the sleeve from rotating until the bolt is fully forward in the receiver. There may be an issue with the little tab or its spring, or possibly the aftermarket safety is causing a problem. You don't want this to happen spontaneously in the field. There is a possibility that everything is OK and that you somehow manually pushed the tab in while horsing on the bolt when it stuck, but it would be best to make sure the sleeve is locking properly.

Yep--and this can happen even with more "modern" commercial bolt-actions as well. Have seen it happen more than once with Remington 700s and the original Ruger 77s when somebody removed the bolt when traveling by air on a hunt. Have more than once had to use the "shoelace method" to recock a bolt with both actions....

It happens. I did it on an M96 Swedish Mauser during a hunt - don't know how, must've had half my fingers in the wrong place at the wrong time. Checked out the Mauser later and nothing out of the ordinary compared against others. I guess the Germans weren't being too conservative with the shroud lock on their Model 98s.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?