Originally Posted by Teal
One thing I think new hunters tend to screw up on - paying attention to what the animals around you are paying attention to.

First thing I taught my son as a runt - when you have deer in front of you and they all stop and look somewhere - SOMETHINGS there. Get ready. Pay attention. They live there, better eyes, ears and noses - use them by proxy.

Neat pics tho and danged good for 100 yards on the fly via ATV. I rarely see bears in WI - occasionally in the Crivitz/near north area.

I've killed several moose by watching another moose's body language. They don't have those ears for nothing, and are clued in to virtually every other moose within a quarter mile, I opine. They'll "point"others, as you stated.

Leading to another opinion, "The best bait for moose is another moose". "Solitary animal", my patootie! They just don't like their company up close, much.

Plus, I have read, and agree with, they are the most vocal of cervids. That means they communicate - which means they are not "solitary".

Years ago there was a nice picture on the front of the Anchorage paper of a dog-team ascending (Rainy?) Pass during the Iditirod. All the dogs had their heads up cocked to one side, looking at something, which made me look closer. I bet not 1 in 100 readers saw the dozens or hundreds of caribou in the distant background.

I passed it around the classroom I was visiting, and asked the kids and teacher to tell me what the dogs were doing. Not one of them clued in to the dog's posture or saw the caribou until I showed them. All they saw was dogs pulling a sled. (and not that well- being distracted)

Last edited by las; 08/03/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.