Old Mike's story reminded me of one mule deer hunt I did in AZ.

Sat to eat my lunch overlooking a cove type area in some scab rock. What the old movies would call a box canyon sort of deal.

Remembered I had a rattling bag in my pack still, probably from hunting whitetail in PA. I was just eating lunch, sitting and watching and figured what the heck, let's make a little noise like a couple of bucks fooling around. Even though it wasn't near the rut, I was hoping some curious buck would come for a look see.

Couple of rattles, couple of bites of lunch, a swig of water, couple more rattles. Maybe a half hour like that?

No deer, but after that little bit I hear a couple of ravens hassling something on the other rim of the canyon. Maybe 150 yards away? I watch and see, they're flying overhead squawking away.

I put the binocs to my eye and watch as a coyote makes its way through the brush to look over the edge of canyon to see what's up. As I was hunting deer with an iron sighted caplock I decided best to just let him turn and walk when I stopped rattling. Didn't want to announce my presence to any deer that might be in the area.

Jays are sometimes as good as crows, ravens, and squirrels at letting one know something is up.

Usually they just let the critters know I'm around though. Bastiges.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?