Originally Posted by Pappy348
My take on this and similar situations with other old-timers (guns, not the owners!), is that they’re well-worth futzing with and can perform very well, better than many would suspect, BUT charm, panache, nostalgia etc, aside, there’s also a lot to be said for taking the easy path with a modern rifle/cartridge combo. I have a pretty well-balance mix of the old and new and like it all, and it also keeps me from sitting home fussing about not being able to feed my toys. Saw a nice 141 in .35 last week, attractively priced, but when I got home and checked ammoseek.com, they showed nary a single source for ammunition.

I’d like to get a nice M38 some day, both to shoot and admire, and standard-performance ammo will suit me just fine. A fellow that appears regularly at the nearby public range has several Swedes, and they’re lovely things that shoot very well indeed.

Would like to see pics of any of the rifles mentioned here, if not too much trouble.

You like pictures? Me too.. :

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is what you call an old rifle. A Carl Gustav m96 6.5x55. I don't run hot loads in the girl. Just fairly accurate ones. The only reason I bought it was for my clubs military rifle shoots. They used to have them once a month and they are enough fun that I decided to keep the old girl around for a bit longer. We get some shooters from Portland and Vancouver and other places near by and I'm happy to report, this rifle holds it's own against them all. Had some high up shooters (master class) offer me $800 for the rifle last time. Don't know if they were trying to buy me out of the comp or if they really wanted the rifle... ???

Its no slouch. I generally put them all in the 10 ring and scare some into the X as well.

Not real hard to do with a rifle of this caliber. Again, I don't load them hot in this old girl. As this action is not nearly as strong as say a Mauser 98 or other actions built in the early 1900's, like my favorite m1917. In most load manuals, they warn against running real hot loads in the m96, but to each their own.. Here's some groups shot during load development:

Mine does well with many different bullets I've tried in it. Barnes match burners, SMK, ELD match, SST's, ELDX. It really doesn't matter what I stuff it with..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA